Elizabeth "Booka" Smith
phone (303) 357-2355
mobile (303) 589-3193
fax (513) 651-2570
"Booka" Smith heads the firm’s Colorado employment and wrongful discharge litigation practice. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from Bowdoin College in 1990, where she was a NCAA Division II Alpine ski racer, soccer and lacrosse player. In 1995, she received her J.D. from Cornell University. She was the Chief Articles Editor for the Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy. After graduating from Cornell Law, Ms. Smith practiced commercial and employment litigation for several years in the Boston office of a large national law firm. Ms. Smith then returned home to Colorado and continued to focus her practice on commercial and employment litigation, in addition to ski area defense.
Ms. Smith has represented and advised a wide variety of clients in the areas of commercial litigation, general civil litigation and employment law and litigation. As a litigator, Ms. Smith has made frequent appearances in federal and state courts, in arbitration and mediation, and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Smith has also participated in numerous jury and bench trials as second chair and has tried several cases on her own as lead counsel, all ending in victories for the client. Ms. Smith has litigated and tried cases in the areas of employment, contract dispute, business torts, real estate, construction, bankruptcy, and products liability. She is also a certified mediator. Ms. Smith still participates in USSA masters-level Alpine ski racing. She has represented many of Colorado’s ski resorts.
Ms. Smith is admitted to practice in both Colorado and Massachusetts.
- Employment Litigation
- Business Torts & Fraud Litigation
- Litigation Percentage: 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1997
- Colorado, 1999
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2012
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Plaintiff Employment Lawyers Association
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association
- National Plaintiff Employment Lawyers Association
- Mares-Dixon & Associates 40 Hour Mediation Training & Certificate, 2010
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2003
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1995
- Bowdoin College, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1990